Thursday, November 27, 2008

Day 3 with Vera, Part 2

So, between our visits with Vera our translator took us to have lunch. She first suggested McDonald's. Ryan and I both looked at each other because we had just eaten there and at home I try not to eat there more than once a month! She then suggested a Ukrainian restaurant, but when we drove by she said they were too busy. So, she was driving towards McD's when I saw a Pizza Hut sign. So, we ate there while she went and got some paperwork done. I don't think she ever takes a break or eats!!
Pizza Hut was good. It tasted a little different, I think Ryan liked it better than home, but I didn't. Our facilitator showed back up and we were off to the orphanage again. Below is the room where we had all our visits with Vera.
Our visit with Vera was great. We just took turns holding her and playing with her. She wasn't too interactive with us, I think she just enjoyed being held and was still taking everything in. Towards the end of our visit, we could tell that she had a long day. We had her sitting in the corner of the couch. Ryan would move in too close and she would kind of whimper and then start rocking. We spent nearly 4 hours with her that day, so I am sure it was very overwhelming for her to be out of her routine. At the end of the visit when I was holding her, out of the blue, she takes her fingers and runs them over her lips making a whirring sound. She then liked doing it to me. See the video below, you will have to turn your head because Ryan turned the camera to take the video. I think she will open up to us the more time we spend with her.

Our facilitator came back in the room and said it was time to go. We took a couple pictures of the 3 of us and then had to give her back. It was hard letting her go since we didn't know when the next time we would see her would be. :( But, I could tell she was overwhelmed and needed to get back to her environment. Plus, I was also ready to get home to Kiara.
The traffic on the way back to the apartment was HORRENDUS!! We sat in traffic forever and for no apparent reason. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get back when it usually took us 45 minutes. Thankfully, it really didn't seem like it had been that long. It was nice to have a chance to chat with our facilitator some and ask questions about the whole process.

We had made dinner plans with the other couple in Russia adopting. Luckily, we were able to communicate a little through our facilitator's cell phones. We were to meet at The Hard Rock Cafe at 8:30 PM. When we got within walking distance, we had our facilitator drop us off. Luckily, we saw a movie poster for High School Musical 3 in Russian and took a picture for Kiara. It was a bit more of a walk than I thought it would be, but we made it there. It was nice to catch up with them because we really hadn't seen them since the very beginning of our trip.

After we walked back to our apartment, I called my mom to tell her that I would call Kiara when she got home from school, which was midnight Moscow time. So, we packed in the meantime. We talked to Kiara and she wanted to talk to us once she got back to my mom's house so she could see us on the computer. Well, I agreed to stay up, but Ryan went to bed.

No comments: